Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I gave in to the binky monster

Well I'd said I wasn't going to give my son a pacifier...and I didn't for two whole months. But after WEEKS of him not being able to go to sleep for 12+ hours at a time I finally gave in and researched it to see if there were any good reasons not to use it. AND there are...they can become dependent on them...it can cause nipple confusion if given at first...but other than that not too many good reasons not to.
And the Mayo clinic says that they might cause a reduced risk of SIDS...always a good thing.
So I gave in. and he was asleep in under 5 min and slept for 3 hours...I took it out of his mouth after he fell asleep b/c I don't want him dependent on it for sleeping or anything...but I've used the same trick 3 more times and it has worked each time with him sleeping for at least 3 hours each time....so... I am now going to use it when he has trouble sleeping.
I guess I decided that no matter how much I don't like them him being able to sleep and feel better was more important. But I still feel guilty and, of course, worried that I didn't do the wrong thing. The nice thing about knowing myself the way I do is that I know that I'd worry I did the wrong thing if I didn't give it to him too so that worry isn't going to stop me.
Time for me to go take away the pacifier :)

No comments: