Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Sleep and pumping!

I think I've become a bit obsessed with sleep lately. For about a week I was getting about three hours of sleep for every twelve or so that I was up with him. He would sleep a little in those twelve hours or so, for about thirty minutes. I was beginning to think I wouldn't make it!
But today he's been sleeping beautifully. He slept from midnightish to almost 6am then back to sleep around 8 and up at 1pm. Back to sleep around 3 and still sleeping..I'm expecting him to wake up any minute now. Hubby thinks he hasn't been feeling well and is now feeling better. I thought maybe he was teething but he is only 7 weeks old *tomorrow*. At any rate that is the sleep part of the post.
Pumping. Have I mentioned that I am breastfeeding exclusively? Oh and that I love it and that every bad thing I've read about it didn't happen for me? Yay! It was easy and mostly painless from the start and he had gained apx 2 oz per day as of his last checkup which the doc said was wonderful as 1oz per is considered good. Back to pumping. So I bought a pump in case I needed or wanted to go out so the hubster could stay home with the little guy and him not starve to death *baby not daddy*. I kept meaning to pump and freeze but dang is it hard to find time to pump when the baby always wants to eat or is eating all the time or wants you to hold him when he isn't eating...and then if none of that is going on I was wanting to sleep. BUT yesterday I had a doctors appointment so I had to pump for the lil guy because I didn't know how long I'd be gone. Was about the fourth time I'd tried and it went pretty well. The funny thing is when hubby went to feed him, I expressed about 3oz, he sucked it all down in around 2 minutes! I'd put the slower flow nipple with the bottle but apparently he's so used to having to really work for it he didn't know what to do with the easy delivery system. teehe. I don't know why but that kinda cracked me up.
So tonight I pumped before my tutoring session in case he woke up while I was working (I tutor online). This brings me to the reason I started the post about pumping. It only took me about 20min tonight to get more than I've been getting in half an hour to an hour so I guess pumping does get easier! I was a little worried but now I have my first bottle to freeze because he didn't wake up during class! Yay me, I am officially ahead of the game! SWEET!
Oh and for anyone reading this that wants to tell me breastfeeding isn't easy for everyone, I know :) I just think it is great/cool that it is easy for me and I'm crossing my fingers that it remains that way and is this easy for the next (we've decided we want at least one more little angel) one.
Goodnight all :)

No comments: